Choosing whether to repair or replace the furnace system can be one of the biggest daunting and tedious task, a homeowner needs to face when it comes to HVAC decisions.
The most convenient way to decide is to have a proper and basic understanding of furnace problems. Many might only need repair service, while some problems may require a replacement. Sometimes a replacement just makes more sense instead of repair as it might cost the same. Replacing is often a result of two things. One, your issues last for a really long time. Or two, the repair doesn’t work or is too costly.
When to Repair Furnace?
If you come across the following situations, you should opt for furnace repair:
- Airflow problems: Your furnace needs repair if it is blowing tepid air or pretty much nothing at all, there are chances of many potential causes. The good news is that most of these issues can be handled with professional furnace repair services.
- Sudden fluctuations in heating costs: If your heating bill has suddenly spiked up, chances are you need a repair at the soonest. You might even find a high cost in one month, only for it to return to normal cost on the next one. If this happens, give Furnace experts a call.
- Odd furnace sounds: If you suspect clanks, squeaks, bangs, and squeals, etc. they all indicate problems with the components in your heating system. You are covered here with a repair, be sure to call an expert for repair at the earliest. Lots of damage can be caused due to loose or damaged parts that bang around in your furnace and might eventually turn into a total replacement.
- Musty odors: Dust buildup chokes your furnace and causes dusty smells that linger for a while. You might resolve this issue by replacing your air filter. If not, a repair service should be called for.
When to Replace Furnace?
If you come across the following situations, you should opt for furnace replace:
- You need to repair it too often: If your furnace makes you call in for professional repair quite frequently or more, a replacement is a solution and will save you a lot of money and stress in the future long run.
- Your repairs are too costly: Some components might simply cost a ton to be repaired, or may not be totally repairable. In such cases, replacing will cost you less and provide you with advanced as well as an updated furnace, at a somewhat equivalent amount.
- Your energy costs are too high: If you notice a sudden spiked up energy bill that sticks around often requires a replacement to remedy.
- Your system is old: If your furnace is a decade old or even older, it is always better to have it replaced. Replacing an old system will bring you many benefits, like more comfort, lower heating costs, and obviously less frequent repairs.
Contact a professional Furnace Maintenance provider, who will help you with better decision making- whether to replace or repair your furnace